Sunday, November 7, 2010

Moving... again!



The last week or two have been sort of eventful, so I figure I should write a bit of an update while I have time.

I was expecting this to happen sooner or later, so it wasn't much of a surprise, but the place that Kaz and I have been living in (it's his sister's old condo that's been on the market for a while) has finally sold. At least it seems that way, so we decided to go apartment hunting and move out before Thanksgiving. We'd done a bit of research, and then we went to look at apartments yesterday morning. After touring the 5 or so places we'd narrowed it down to, we sort of agreed on one place that's not far from here in Palatine.

So we went back to said apartment complex and asked to take one more look at the place before making a decision. In the meantime, some douchebag who was also interested in that exact unit came in and signed a lease, so we missed the place by about 20 minutes! What kind of terrible luck is that? So we ended up just agreeing to suck it up and pay extra for a 2-bedroom apartment that was in the same building as the one we wanted, almost directly upstairs. So now the aforementioned douchebag will be our neighbor, it's like a bad sitcom/reality show. D: The place is pretty sweet, though, and the floorplan of the one we got is called Compton. So it reminds me of True Blood... bonus! Maybe it was meant to be, or at least that's what I'll tell myself when we can't afford to buy anything but rice and beans for food.

On the plus side, now we can have a cat, or even a dog if we felt so inclined. The place seems very pet-friendly, which is a nice contrast to where we are now. We're planning to move next weekend.

Also fortunately, I've been upgraded from temp status at work, so I'm a bona-fide employee now. It's not a huge change, but I'm super-relieved that I won't just suddenly be jobless again any time soon. At least I don't think I will. (p・Д・;)

Now that we've found a place to live, we're going to an animal shelter near here pretty soon to take a look at the cats they have. For the life of me, I can't fathom why people would ever buy a cat from a pet store when there are so so so many that need to be adopted. With dogs, I'm more comfortable getting them from a legit breeder because then you know what you're getting into in terms of genetic predispositions/behaviour and all that, but with cats there's really no reason. Unless you're really set on a specific breed and want to buy one from a breeder, there's like, no reason not to adopt. Makes me so annoyed. ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ But I digress. This animal shelter we're going to is actually pretty close to my work. I should see about volunteering there, but I know I'd want to adopt every animal in the place.

...On a related note, I think when I do eventually get a dog, I'm thinking I might get a Westie.


More on these ongoing stories as they develop!

No comments: